Graduate Degrees and Certificates

The electrical engineering program offers graduate programs of study which lead to the M.S. degree (thesis and non-thesis options), the Ph.D. degree and the doctorate of engineering (D.Eng) degree. Masters degrees can be obtained both on-campus and through distance options. Selection of specific options and programs of study are subject to approval by advisor and department.

The electrical engineering program in the department of electrical and computer engineering offers graduate programs of study which lead to the M.S. degree (thesis and non-thesis options), the Ph.D. degree and the doctor of engineering degree. Masters degrees can be obtained both on-campus and through distance options. Most graduate programs in electrical engineering normally include some specialization in one or more of the following six emphasis areas of electrical engineering: circuits and electronics, communications and signal processing,  controls and systems, electromagnetics, devices and optics, and power.

For more information, check out the univeristy catalog:

Graduate degree in electrical engineering

The department of Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECE) developed this handbook to assist you with the electrical engineering program. We provide the names of a number of professors and administrators that you can contact. We also summarize information available in other Missouri S&T documents and provide websites where you can find more information.

ECE Graduate Handbook

Why S&T

Read more


Read testimonials from some of our outstanding graduate alumni and learn about how choosing S&T impacted their lives.

View All

Emphasis areas

Circuits and electronics topics include network analysis and synthesis, computer-aided circuit design, distributed circuits, communication circuits, and linear and nonlinear electronic circuits.

Communications and signal processing topics include coding, information theory, modulation, detection, filtering for both analog and digital systems, signal processing, image processing and wireless.

Controls and systems topics include resilience control, wireless sensor/network design and networked control systems, process control, optimal control and estimation, robust control, neural networks, fuzzy logic based control as applied to control of vehicles, chemical process, manufacturing, robotics, environmenal systems and smart structural systems.

Devices and optics topics include the semiconductor devices, microsystems, fiber optics and sensors, optical methods applied to structural monitoring, and optical/quantum computing.

Electromagnetics topics include electromagnetic compatibility and signal integrity for high-speed electronic systems, microwaves and applications to nondestructive testing and evaluation.

Power topics include power electronic converters, electric machines, electric motor drives, high voltage engineering, transportation electrification, application of computer methods to power system analysis and control, power system relaying and protection, and power quality load management.

Graduate certificate programs

On campus

Graduate certificates give students the opportunity to broaden their knowledge in a particular discipline, learn the latest in developing fields and stay competitive in the marketplace. By taking a few courses, students will be able to demonstrate advanced knowledge in a field. Graduate certificate programs may also be used as a pathway to a graduate degree program, and credit earned in the certificate can be counted toward the master’s degree. A student needs to earn a 'B' or better in each certificate course to continue on with the master’s degree without needing to submit GRE/GMAT scores.

This graduate certificate program is designed to provide specialized graduate level education in the area of advanced control systems.

View catalog 

This graduate certificate program is designed to provide specialized graduate level education in the area of automation engineering and PLC.

View catalog 

This graduate certificate program is designed to provide specialized graduate level education in the area of electrical machine and drives.

View catalog 

This graduate certificate program is designed to provide specialized graduate level education in the area of electrical power systems engineering.

View catalog 

Graduate distance programs

You could be earning college credit toward your master's degree and advancing your career. At Missouri S&T, we offer nationally ranked online graduate programs


All Ph.D. students and thesis-option M.S. students are expected to conduct significant research with their research advisors and advisory committee toward their thesis/dissertation. Whether you are interested in research scopes as large as global communications and cyber infrastructure, or as small as micro/nano-scale devices, our graduate programs in ECE will offer you a broad array of exciting areas of study. High-quality research suitable for publication is expected when pursuing the thesis option M.S. or a doctoral degree.

ECE offers a wide variety of research opportunities with faculty who are some of the world’s foremost experts in their fields. In addition to ECE departmental research groups, interdisciplinary research is an essential component of our graduate programs. Students often conduct research in association with our interdisciplinary centers, institutes, and laboratories, including the following:

  • Center for Biomedical Research
  • Center for Infrastructure Engineering Studies
  • Center for Research in Energy and Environment
  • Intelligent Systems Center
  • Materials Research Center

Learn about our research

Entrance Requirements

Electrical and computer engineering's minimum admission requirements often exceed general university requirements. In case of discrepancies, departmental requirements supersede all others.

Certificate minimum admissions requirements

  • B.S. degree in any field of engineering
  • GPA of 3.0 or higher (a minimum 'B' grade is required) in the CT courses

Master's degree admissions requirements

  • Completed undergraduate degree from ABET accredited university (or equivalent international)
  • Recommended undergraduate GPA: 3.3/4.0 or higher
  • Recommended GRE score*: Quantitative (155), Verbal+Quantitative (305) and Technical Writing (3.5)
  • Three reference letters (strongly encouraged)
  • Statement of Purpose (strongly encouraged)
  • Recommended TOEFL (international applicants only) score:  80 IBT (internet-based test), 570 PBT (paper-based test), 230 CBT (computer-based test)
  • Minimum IELTS score (international applicants only): 6.5 (interchangeable with TOEFL)
  • Financial statement (international applicants only)

*GRE waiver for Missouri S&T undergraduate alumni with GPA of 3.5+ obtained from ECE courses (minimum of 18 credit hours)

Doctoral degree admissions requirements

  • Completed M.S. degree with recommended minimum graduate GPA 3.5/4.0 or higher (for applicants with M.S. degree)
  • Competed undergraduate degree with recommended minimum GPA 3.5/4.0 or higher (for applicants without M.S. degree)
  • Meeting all other requirements for admission to M.S. program
  • Three reference letters
  • Statement of Purpose
  • Securing a Ph.D. advisor
  • Financial statement (international applicants only)

Securing an Advisor

There are two options in the Master program (thesis option and non-thesis option). The non-thesis option requires coursework only, while the thesis option requires a thesis  with your research advisor with less course work.

Both options are equally considered for admission without preference or priority. For the thesis option, procedure of how to secure an advisor and seek his or her confirmation is the same as that of PhD (see PhD requirements below). Master students may change the degree option at any time during the study.

The most important thing for PhD admission is to secure your tentative advisor, even before you formally apply (individual contact as stated below). View the department's faculty directory to review each faculty member's research areas and identify your potential PhD advisor. Contact the faculty member by email with your portfolio (CV, transcript, publication, etc.). If he or she is willing to serve as your PhD advisor, seek confirmation.

Once you have a confirmation, ask for a Recommendation Letter from your potential advisor and specify your potential advisor in your Statement of Purpose to be part of your application package. Please note that the confirmation to serve as your advisor does not mean you’ll be automatically offered a financial assistantship. You need to ask the advisor about the availability of assistantship (see the link to “Graduate Degree Funding”).

You may  apply formally for PhD without this procedure of securing the advisor. We will circulate your application materials to faculty members to see if someone is interested in serving as your advisor. If you are applying for the PhD program without a MS degree (directly from BS) and without securing an advisor, we may still admit you as an MS to be able to convert to PhD within 2-3 semesters (all your credits are then counted toward PhD). During this period, you interact with faculty and demonstrate your aptitude for PhD.

Graduate degree funding

We value our graduate students. In our commitment to your education, we've put together several funding opportunities to help make your degree an excellent return on investment. Take a look at what we have to offer you.

There are three major mechanisms of assistantship for graduate students in ECE: Graduate Research Assistants (GRA), Graduate Teaching Assistants (GRA) and Fellowship. There are also Grader positions based on hourly rate wages. Students can be appointed as GRA or GTA by any rate up to 50% FTE (Full-Time Equivalent), which is the maximum part-time employment rate for students (100% represents the full-time job). Monthly wage for 50% FTE is approximately $2,000, which is proportional to the % FTE (e.g. $400 for 10% FTE). Student’s out-of-tuition is waived if the student is offered at least a 25% FTE or higher.

This assistantship is to support students by contributing to faculty members’ research. If a GRA is offered, the out-of-state tuition is waived (if higher than 25% FTE) and the monthly wage is provided according to % FTE. Students may contact individual faculty members with materials (CVs, publication, etc.) preferably before application to demonstrate their qualification and competency in the interested research areas. The faculty member may offer a GRA position with admission if the student is qualified and funding is available. Or it may be offered anytime with continued interactions with faculty members during study in the ECE program.

GTAs are normally required to teach undergraduate-level laboratory courses. If a GTA is offered, the out-of-state tuition is waived (if higher than 25% FTE) and the monthly wage is provided according to % FTE. The department appoints GTAs every semester. Students apply for the GTA positions several months earlier before the start of class to teach, pass the communication test (non-native speakers only) and are selected by the department. Therefore, new incoming students are typically not eligible for the GTA position during the first semester.

The mechanism of Department Fellowship waives the student’s out-of-state tuition only (no wages). The students is required to assist individual faculty member’s departmental work on teaching, research and service activities. Students may contact individual faculty members with materials (CV, publication, portfolio, etc.) before application to demonstrate their qualification. The faculty member may offer a Fellowship anytime similarly as the GRA position. Chancellor’s Fellowship is available only for the PhD applicants with US citizenship or permanent residency upon admission to waive the tuition and provide wages.

This mechanism provides students with biweekly wages based on hourly rates (no tuition waived). Graders are normally required to grade assignments from undergraduate-level courses. Students may contact individual faculty members who teach the course to be appointed as Grader several months earlier before the start of class. Typically new incoming international students are not eligible for the Grader position (US citizens or permanent residents are eligible) during the first semester.