- Academic Programs
- Student Opportunities
- About ECE
Steve E. Watkins is Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering and Director of the Applied Optics Laboratoryat the Missouri University of Science and Technology (formerly the University of Missouri-Rolla). He is active in IEEE (senior member), IEEE-Eta Kappa Nu, SPIE (Fellow), and ASEE. His research and teaching interests include smart sensor systems, UAV instrumentation, fiber optics, imaging, engineering education, and pre-college education. He is coordinator of the campus Smart Composite Bridge project and is advisor to the following student groups: IEEE-Eta Kappa Nu, Tau Beta Pi, and Toastmasters.
Selected Conference Papers and Reports
- S. M. Damti, S. E. Watkins, and R. J. Stanley, “Comparison of Binary and Multi-level Logic Electronics for Embedded Systems,” Smart Structures and Materials/NDE 2016: Industrial and Commercial Applications of Smart Structures Technologies X, Proc. SPIE 9801, 20-24, 2016, 21-22 March 2016, Los Vegas, NV.
- I.P. Dugganapally, S. E. Watkins, and B. Cooper, “Multi-level, Memory-based Logic using CMOS Technology,”2014 IEEE Computer Society Annual Symposium on VLSI (ISVLSI), 583-588, 2014, 9-11 July 2014, Tampa, FL.
Current Professional Activity
- Vice-President for Educational Activities and Awards for IEEE Education Society, 2014-20
- Chair, ASEE ECE Division, 2019-20
- Co-coordinator for S&T Pre-college Robotics Summer Camp
- R. Dua, S. E. Watkins, and D. C. Wunsch, Neural Network Demodulation for an Optical Sensor, U.S. Patent No. 7,603,004 [Issued 13 October 2009].
1 patent, 3 book chapters, 51 archival papers, and 94 other papers
For selections see: Missouri S&T Scholars Mine (Papers)
Distinctions and Awards
- President, IEEE-Eta Kappa Nu, 2018
- Editor-in-Shief for THE BRIDGE magazine of IEEE-Eta Kappa Nu, 2013-2017
- IEEE-USA Jim Watson Student Professional Awareness Achievement Award, 2016
- APEX Award of Excellence: 2018,2016,2015,and 2014 Recipient IEEE-HKN The Bridge Magazine (Watkins – Magazine Editor-in-Chief)
- Missouri S&T Distinguished Advisor Award, 2015
- Member of the S&T Academy of Electrical and Computer Engineers, Inducted 2013
- ASEE Midwest Section Service Award, 2012
- Missouri S&T Service Award,2016 and 2010
Smart sensor systems; Fiber optics; Imaging; Engineering education and pre-college education
- Ph.D. The University of Texas at Austin
- M.S. and B.S. University of Missouri-Rolla