- Academic Programs
- Student Opportunities
- About ECE
R. Joe Stanley received the B.S.E.E. and M.S.E.E. and Ph.D. degrees in computer engineering and computer science from the University of Missouri-Columbia, Columbia, MO, USA, in 1998. On completing his doctoral study, he was an Engineering Specialist with Systems and Electronics, Inc., St. Louis, MO, working on imaging techniques. He is currently an Associate Chairman for computer engineering and an Associate Professor of electrical and computer engineering at the Missouri University of Science and Technology, Rolla, MO, USA. His research interests include data fusion, signal and image processing, computational intelligence, medical informatics, and automation.
- P. Guo, K. Banerjee, R.J. Stanley, R. Long, S. Antani, G. Thoma, R. Zuna, S.R. Frazier, R.H. Moss, W.V. Stoecker, “Nuclei-based features for uterine cervical cancer histology image analysis with fusion-based classification,” IEEE Journal of Biomedical and Health Informatics, vol. PP, no. 99, DOI: 10.1109/JBHI.2015.2483318, 2015.
- A.V. Rakov, M.Y. Koledintseva, S. De, S. Hinaga, J.L. Drewniak, and R.J. Stanley, “Quantification of conductor surface roughness profiles in printed circuit boards,” IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, vol. 57, no. 2, pp. 264-273, 2015.
- M. Lingala, R.J. Stanley*, R.K. Rader, J. Hagerty, H.S. Rabinovitz, M. Oliviero, I. Choudhry, W.V. Stoecker, “Fuzzy logic color detection: blue areas in melanoma dermoscopy images,” Computerized Medical Imaging and Graphics, pii: S0895-6111(14)00039-1. doi: 10.1016/j.compmedimag.2014.03.007 (Epub ahead of print), April 2014.
- S. De,* R.J. Stanley, C. Lu, R. Long, S. Antani, G. Thoma, R. Zuna,“A Fusion-based Approach for Uterine Cervical Cancer Histology Image Classification,”Computerized Medical Imaging and Graphics, vol. 37, no. 7-8, pp. 475-487, 2013.
- S. De, K. Gupta, *R.J. Stanley, R. Zoughi, K. Doering, D. Van Aken, G. Steffes, M.O’Keefe, D. Palmer, “A comprehensive multi-modal NDE data fusion approach for failure assessment in aircraft lap-joint mimics,” IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, vol. 62, no. 4, pp. 814-827, 2013.
- B. Cheng,*R.J. Stanley, W.V. Stoecker, C.T.P. Osterwise, S.M. Stricklin, K.A. Hinton, R.H.Moss, M. Oliviero, H.S. Rabinovitz,“Automatic dirt trail analysis in dermoscopy images,”Skin Research and Technology,vol. 19, pp.e20-26, 2013.
- B. Cheng, *R.J. Stanley, W.V. Stoecker, S.M. Stricklin, K.A. Hinton, T.K. Nguyen, R.K. Rader, H.S. Rabinovitz, M. Oliviero, R.H. Moss, “Analysis of clinical and dermoscopic features for basal cell carcinoma neural network classification,” Skin Research and Technology, vol. 19, e217- e222, 2013.
- R.J. Stanley and S. Baur, “Evaluation of high school pre-engineering curricula through Missouri University of Science and Technology student survey responses,” Proceedings of the American Society of Engineering Education Zone III Meeting, Springfield, MO, September 23-25, 2015 (https://www.asee.org/papers-and-publications/papers/zone-proceedings/zone3/2015-meeting).
- S. Baur and R.J. Stanley, “Missouri instructor survey assessment of Project Lead The Way program,” Proceedings of the American Society of Engineering Education Zone III Meeting, Springfield, MO, September 23-25, 2015 (https://www.asee.org/papers-and-publications/papers/zone-proceedings/zone3/2015-meeting).
- IEEE-USA, Professional Achievement (2015)Award: To recognize those members in the Regions for their outstanding leadership efforts in advancing the professional aims of IEEE in the United States within their Regional entities for sustained contributions to pre-university engineering education
- IEEE Outstanding Educator Award-St. Louis Region (2015)
- Outstanding Teaching Award, UMR/MS&T (2005,2009,2011,2012,2013,2014 and 2015)
- Teaching Commendation, MS&T (2010)
Image and signal processing; Computational intelligence; Data fusion; Automation; Bioinformatics; Computer-assisted medical diagnostic aids; Non-destructive evaluation for structural health monitoring
- Ph.D. Computer Engineering and Computer Science, Graduated May 1998 University of Missouri, Columbia, MO Dissertation Title: Data-Driven Homologue Matching for Chromosome Identification Advisor: Dr. James Keller, 1998
- M.S. Electrical Engineering, Graduated December 1994 University of Missouri, Columbia, MO Thesis Title: Feature Stability Analysis for Chromosome Identification Advisor: Dr. James Keller, 1994
- B.S. Electrical Engineering, Minor in Mathematics, Graduated December 1992 University of Missouri, Columbia, MO Summa Cum Laude, 1992