Donald Wunsch is the Mary K. Finley Missouri Distinguished Professor at Missouri University of Science & Technology (Missouri S&T). Earlier employers were: Texas Tech University, Boeing, Rockwell International, and International Laser Systems. His education includes: Executive MBA - Washington University in St. Louis, Ph.D., Electrical Engineering - University of Washington (Seattle), M.S., Applied Mathematics (same institution), B.S., Applied Mathematics - University of New Mexico, and Jesuit Core Honors Program, Seattle University. Key research contributions are: Clustering; Adaptive Resonance and Reinforcement Learning architectures, hardware and applications; Neurofuzzy regression; Traveling Salesman Problem heuristics; Robotic Swarms; and Bioinformatics. He is an IEEE Fellow and previous INNS President, INNS Fellow and Senior Fellow 2007-2013, NSF CAREER Award winner, and winner of the 2015 INNS Gabor Award. He served as IJCNN General Chair, and on several Boards, including the St. Patrick’s School Board, IEEE Neural Networks Council, International Neural Networks Society, and the University of Missouri Bioinformatics Consortium, Chaired the Missouri S&T Information Technology and Computing Committee as well as the Student Design and Experiential Learning Center Board.
- Lei Meng, Ah-Hwee Tan, and Donald Wunsch, "Adaptive Scaling of Cluster Boundaries for Large-scale Social Media Data Clustering," IEEE Trans. on Neural Networks and Learning Systems, DOI: 10.1109/TNNLS.2015.2498625.
- Dao Lam, Mingzhen Wei, Donald Wunsch, "Clustering Data of Mixed Categorical and Numerical Type with Unsupervised Feature Learning," IEEE Access, Vol. 3, pp/ 1605-1613, Sept. 2015.
- Xiuzhen Huang, Steven F. Jennings, Barry Bruce, Alison Buchan, Liming Cai, Pengyin Chen, Carole Cramer, Weihua Guan, Uwe KK Hilgert, Hongmei Jiang, Zenglu Li, Gail McClure, Donald F. McMullen, Bindu Nanduri, Andy Perkins, Bhanu Rekepalli, Saeed Salem, Jennifer Specker, Karl Walker, Donald Wunsch, Donghai Xiong, Shuzhong Zhang, Yu Zhang, Zhongming Zhao and Jason H Moore, “Big data – a 21st century science Maginot Line? No-boundary thinking: shifting from the big data paradigm,” Journal of BMC BioData Mining, Vol. 8, No. 7, February 2015.
- Steven Damelin, Y. Gu, Donald Wunsch, and Rui Xu, "Fuzzy Adaptive Resonance Theory, Diffusion Maps, and their applications to Clustering and Biclustering," Mathematical Modelling of Natural Phenomena: Special Issue on Model Reduction Across Disciplines in Honor of Alexander N. Gorban, Vol. 10, No. 3, 2015, pp. 206-211.
- Gennady Fridman, Jeremy Levesley, Ivan Tyukin, and Donald Wunsch (Eds.), “Preface,” Mathematical Modelling of Natural Phenomena: Special Issue on Model Reduction Across Disciplines in Honor of Alexander N. Gorban, Vol. 10, No. 3, 2015, pp. 1-5.
- Xingang Fu, Shuhui Li, Michael Fairbank, Donald Wunsch, and Eduardo Alonso, “Training Recurrent Neural Networks with the LevenbergMarquardt Algorithm for Optimal Control of a Grid-Connected Converter,” IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks and Learning Systems, Vol 26, No. 9, September 2015. *
- Tayo Obafemi-Ajayi, Dao Lam, T. Nicole Takahashi, Stephen Kanne, Donald Wunsch, “Sorting the Phenotypic Heterogeneity of Autism Spectrum Disorders: a Hierarchical Clustering Model,” IEEE Conference on Computational Intelligence in Bioinformatics and Computational Biology, August 12-15, 2015, Niagara Falls, Canada.
- Clayton Smith and Donald Wunsch, “Time series prediction via two-step clustering,” Proc. IEEE / INNS International Joint Conference on Neural Networks, July 12-16, 2015.
- Clayton Smith and Donald Wunsch, “Particle swarm optimization in an adaptive resonance framework,” Proc. IEEE / INNS International Joint Conference on Neural Networks, July 12-16, 2015.
- Leonardo Enzo Brito da Silva and Donald Wunsch, “Multi-Prototype Local Density-based Hierarchical Clustering,” Proc. IEEE / INNS International Joint Conference on Neural Networks, July 12-16, 2015.
- R. Dua, S.E. Watkins, D.C. Wunsch, “Neural network demodulator for optical sensor,” U.S. Patent 7,603004, Filed June 12, 2007, Issued October 13, 2009.
- R. Meuth, J.L. Vian, E.W. Saad, D.C. Wunsch, “Adaptive multi-vehicle coverage optimization system and method, U.S. Patent 8,260,510, Filed July 12, 2012, Issued December 31, 2013.
- R. Meuth, J.L. Vian, E.W. Saad, D.C. Wunsch, “Adaptive multi-vehicle coverage optimization system and method, U.S. Patent 8,260,485, Filed September 18, 2007, Issued September 4, 2012.
- E.W. Saad, J.L. Vian, R.J. Meuth, and D.C. Wunsch, “Hierarchical mission management,” U.S. Patent Application 20110082717, October 5, 2009.
- E.W. Saad, S.R. Bieniawski, P.E.R. Pigg, J.L. Vian, P.M. Robinette, D.C. Wunsch, “Real time mission planning,” U.S. Patent 9064222, Applied for May 14, 2010, issued June 23, 2015.
- R. Xu, D.C. Wunsch, S. Kim, “Methods and systems for biclustering algorithm,” U.S. Patent 9043326 Filed January 28, 2012, claiming priority to Provisional U.S. Patent Application, January 28, 2011, issued May 26, 2015
- IEEE Fellow
- INNS Fellow
- INNS Senior Fellow
- NSF CAREER Award
- INNS Gabor Award for Excellence in Neural Networks Engineering Contributions
- INNS President
- Haliburton Award for Excellence in Teaching and Research
- Charles Hedlund Distinguished Visiting Professor, American University Cairo
- IEEE Electron Devices Society Distinguished Lecturer
- IEEE Computational Intelligence Society Distinguished Lecturer
- Coauthor, IEEE Conference on Evolutionary Computation Best Overall Paper
- Master, DeTao Masters’ Academy, Shanghai
- Eagle Scout