- Department Overview
- Academic Programs
- Prospective Students
- What do Computer Engineering students do?
- What do Electrical Engineering students do?
- Curriculum & Courses
- Undergraduate Admissions Requirements
- Graduate Admissions Requirements and Application Deadlines
- Credit by Examination
- Transfer Information
- Student Organizations
- Resources to Help You Succeed
- International Students
- Living in Rolla
- Current Students
- Faculty, Staff & Facilities
- Alumni, Corporations & Partners
- Current Courses
- Useful Links
Professor and Associate Chair for EE Undergraduate Studies
234 Emerson Electric Co. Hall
Rolla, MO 65409-0040
Areas of Interest
- Modeling, analysis, design, and control of power electronic converters
- Integrated power converters and their industrial applications
- Digital control of power electronic converters and motor drives
- Adjustable speed drives
- Brushless DC (BLDC) and switched reluctance motor (SRM) drives
- Automotive/aerospace power electronics and motor drives
- Electric and hybrid electric vehicles
- Uninterruptible power supplies and active filters
- Design and control of power factor correctors
- Analysis and design of resonant converters and inverters
Mehdi Ferdowsi received the B.S. degree in electronics from the University of Tehran, Tehran, Iran, in 1996, the M.S. degree in electronics from the Sharif University of Technology, Tehran, Iran, in 1999, and the Ph.D. degree in electrical engineering from the Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago, IL, USA, in 2004. He is currently a Professor at the Missouri University of Science and Technology, Rolla, MO, USA. His research interests include electric-drive vehicles, multi input power converters, multilevel power converters, and battery charge equalization. Dr. Ferdowsi received the US National Science Foundation CAREER Award in 2007. He is an Associate Editor of the IEEE Transactions on Power.
- Ph.D. Electrical Engineering Illinois Institute of Technology 2004
- M.Sc. Electrical Engineering Sharif University of Technology 1999
- B.Sc. Electrical Engineering University of Tehran 1997
- Z. Darabi and M. Ferdowsi, “An event‐based simulation framework to examine the response of power grid to the charging demand of plug‐in hybrid electric vehicles (PHEVs),” IEEE Trans. Industrial Informatics, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 313‐322, February 2014.
- H.Sepahvand,M.Khazraei,K.Corzine,andM.Ferdowsi,“Start‐up procedure and switching losses reduction for a single‐ phase flying capacitor active rectifier,” IEEETrans. Industrial Electronics, vol. 60, no.9, pp. 3699‐ 3710, September 2013.
- H. Sepahvand, J. Liao, and M. Ferdowsi, “Capacitor voltage regulation in single‐ dc‐ source cascaded H‐ bridge multilevel converters using phase‐ shift modulation,” IEEE Trans. Industrial Electronics,vol.60,no.9,pp.3619‐3626, September 2013.
- M. Khazraei and M. Ferdowsi, “Modeling and analysis of Projected Cross Point Control—a new current mode control approach,” IEEE Trans. Industrial Electronics, vol. 60, no. 8, pp.3272‐3282, August 2013.
- L. Shi, B. Baddipadiga, M. Ferdowsi, and M. Crow, “Improving the dynamic response of a flying‐ capacitor three‐ level buck converter,” IEEE Trans. Power Electronics, vol. 28, no. 5, pp. 2356‐ 2365, May 2013.
- R. Ahmadi, H. Zargarzadeh, M. Ferdowsi, “Nonlinear controller for power sharing in double‐ input H‐ bridge‐ based converters,” IEEE Trans. Power Electronics, vol. 28, no. 5, pp. 2402‐2414, May 2013.
- M. Khazraei, H. Sepahvand, M. Ferdowsi, and K. Corzine, “Hysteresis based control of a single ‐ phase multilevel flying capacitor active rectifier,” IEEE Trans. Power Electronics, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 154 ‐ 164, January 2013.
- R. Ahmadi and M. Ferdowsi, “Double‐ input converters based on H ‐ bridge cells: derivation, small ‐ signal modeling, and power sharing analysis,” IEEE Trans. Circuits and Systems I ,vol. 59, no. 4, pp. 875 ‐ 888, April 2012.
- M. Khazraei, H. Sepahvand, K. Corzine, and M. Ferdowsi, “Active capacitor voltage balancing in single ‐ phase flying ‐ capacitor multilevel power converters,” in IEEE Trans. Industrial Electronics , vol. 59, no. 2, pp. 769 ‐ 778, February 2012
- S. Mukherjee, P. Shamsi, and M. Ferdowsi, “Impedance shaping for improved load sharing among inverters in AC microgrids,” in IEEE Energy Conversion Congress and Exposition (ECCE), Montreal, QC, Canada, Sept. 2015, pp. 738-744.
- S. Lee, P. Fajri, and M. Ferdowsi, “A robust hybrid multilevel rectifier with adjustable output voltage and variable load,” in Proc. IEEE International Conference on Power Electronics and ECCE Asia (ICPE-ECCE Asia), Seoul, South Korea, June 2015, pp. 14-20.
- Z. Darabi and M. Ferdowsi, Impact of Plug‐in Hybrid Electric Vehicles on Electricity Demand Profile, (Book Chapter) in Smart Power Grids 2011, Springer‐Verlag Berlin Heidelberg, 2011, pp. 319‐349.
- M. Ferdowsi, Motors, (Book Chapter) in Electrical Engineering handbook, 3rd Edition ‐ 6 Volume Set, Richard C. Dorf, CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL, Jan. 2006.
- Teaching Excellence Recognition, Missouri S&T, 2007‐08 and 2011‐12 academic years.
- Prize Paper Award, IEEE Vehicle Power & Propulsion Conf. (VPPC), Harbin, China, 2008.
- Faculty Early Career Development (CAREER) Award, National Science Foundation, 2007.
- Outstanding Teaching Award, Missouri S&T, 2005‐06 academic year.
- Teaching Excellence Award, School of Engineering, Missouri S&T, November 2006.
- University of Missouri New Faculty Teaching Scholars (NFTS) program, 2006‐07.