- Department Overview
- Academic Programs
- Prospective Students
- What do Computer Engineering students do?
- What do Electrical Engineering students do?
- Curriculum & Courses
- Undergraduate Admissions Requirements
- Applying: Step by Step
- Graduate Admissions Requirements and Application Deadlines
- Credit by Examination
- Transfer Information
- Student Organizations
- Resources to Help You Succeed
- International Students
- Living in Rolla
- Current Students
- Faculty, Staff & Facilities
- Alumni, Corporations & Partners
- Current Courses
- Useful Links
Areas of Interest
- Computer-aided analysis of power systems dynamics and security analysis
- Voltage stability
- Computational algorithms for analyzing stressed, non-linear, non-continuous systems
- Power-electronic applications in bulk power systems (FACTS)
- Parameter estimation
Mariesa L. Crow is the Fred Finley Distinguished Professor of Electrical Engineering at Missouri S&T. She received her BSE in Electrical Engineering from the University of Michigan and her Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering from the University of Illinois -Urbana/Champaign. Her area of professional interest is computational methods and power electronics applications to renewable energy systems and energy storage. She has been PI or Co-PI on $21 million in externally funded research sponsored by the National Science Foundation, DOE, DOD, DOT, DOEd, the State of Missouri and several utilities. She has authored over 200 technical articles and several textbooks and book chapters. She is the IEEE Power & Energy Society VP of Publications. She is a Registered Professional Engineer in the State of Missouri and a Fellow of the IEEE.
- Ph.D (EE) University of Illinois, Urbana/Champaign 1989
- M.S. (EE) University of Illinois, Urbana/Champaign 1986
- B.S.E. (EE) University of Michigan, Ann Arbor 1985
Journal Articles (* denotes graduate student)
- Tu A. Nguyen* and M. L. Crow, “Stochastic Optimization of Renewable-Based Microgrid Operation Incorporating Battery Operating Cost,” IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, (to appear).
- Xin Qiu*, Tu Nguyen*, and M. L. Crow, “Heterogeneous Energy Storage Optimization for Microgrids” IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, (to appear).
- D. G. Shah* and M. L. Crow, “Online Volt-Var Control for Distribution Systems With Solid State Transformers,” IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, vol. 31, no. 1, February 2016.
- Wei Wu*, Keyou Wang, Guojie Li, Mariesa L. Crow, “A Versatile Probability Model of Photovoltaic Generation Using Pair Copula Construction,” IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy, vol. 6, no. 4, October 2015.
- Tu Nguyen*, M. L. Crow, and A. C. Elmore, “Optimal Sizing of a Vanadium Redox Battery System for Microgrid Systems,” IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 729 – 737, July 2015.
- D. Shah* and M. L. Crow, “Stability Assessment Extensions for Single Phase Distribution Solid State Transformers,” IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, vol. 30, no. 3, June 2015.
- T. Gamage*, Y. Liu*, T. A. Nguyen*, X. Qiu*, B. McMillin, M. L. Crow, “A Novel Flow Invariants-based Approach to Microgrid Management,” IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, vol. 6, no. 2, March 2015.
- D. Somayajula* and M. L. Crow, “An Integrated Dynamic Voltage Restorer – Ultracapacitor Design for Improving the Power Quality of the Distribution grid,” IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy, vol. 6, no. 2, April 2015.
- X. Qiu*, M. L. Crow, and A. C. Elmore, “A Balance-of-Plant Vanadium Redox Battery System Model,” IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy, vol. 6, no. 2, April 2015.
- A. Pasricha and M. L. Crow, “A Method of Improving Transformer Overloading Beyond Nameplate Rating,” Proceedings of the 2015 North American Power Symposium, Charlotte, NC, October 2015.
- Mohammad Rasoul Narimani, Jhi-Young Joo, and Mariesa L. Crow, “Dynamic Economic Dispatch with Demand Side Management of Individual Residential Loads,” Proceedings of the 2015 North American Power Symposium, Charlotte, NC, October 2015.
- L. Grant, M. L. Crow, M. Cheng, “Computationally Efficient Solvers for Power System Applications,” Power and Energy Conference at Illinois (PECI), Urbana, IL, February 2015.
- M. Narimani, J. Joo, and M. L. Crow, “The Effect Of Demand Response On Distribution System Operation,” Power and Energy Conference at Illinois (PECI), Urbana, IL, February 2015.
- Mariesa L. Crow, Computational Methods for Electric Power Systems, third edition, CRC Press, ISBN 978-1-49-871159-3, (333 pages and includes solutions manual, MATLAB exercises, and instructor’s lecture slides), 2015.
- National Science Foundation 9/1/2015-8/31/2018
- Phelps County Bank 7/1/2014-3/30/2015
- Department of Energy 10/1/2013-9/30/2019
- National Science Foundation 8/1/2013-7/31/2016
- Fellow, IEEE---2010
- Distinguished Service Award, IEEE Power & Energy Society---2010
- PES Prize Paper Award, PEEC, IEEE Power Engineering Society---2006
University of Missouri System
- President’s Award for Leadership---2014
University of Missouri-Rolla/Missouri University of Science and Technology
- Missouri S&T Outstanding Teaching Award---2010