- Department Overview
- Academic Programs
- Prospective Students
- What do Computer Engineering students do?
- What do Electrical Engineering students do?
- Curriculum & Courses
- Undergraduate Admissions Requirements
- Graduate Admissions Requirements and Application Deadlines
- Credit by Examination
- Transfer Information
- Student Organizations
- Resources to Help You Succeed
- International Students
- Living in Rolla
- Current Students
- Faculty, Staff & Facilities
- Alumni, Corporations & Partners
- Current Courses
- Useful Links
William A. Rutledge - Emerson Electric Co. Distinguished Professor in Electrical Engineering
222 Emerson Electric Co. Hall
Rolla, MO 65409-0040
Areas of Interest
- Systems and control
- Neural network control
- Event triggered control/cyber-physical systems
- Autonomous systems/robotics
Jagannathan Sarangapani is at the Missouri University of Science and Technology, Rolla, MO, USA, where he is a Rutledge-Emerson Distinguished Professor and Site Director for the NSF Industry/University Cooperative Research Center on Intelligent Maintenance Systems. He also has a courtesy appointment with the Department of Computer Science. He has co-authored 150 peer-reviewed journal articles, over 255 refereed IEEE conference articles, several book chapters, and co-authored four books and two edited books. He is awarded with 20 patents, one defense publication, with several pending. He has supervised the completion of 26 doctoral students and 30 M.S. students. His research funding is in excess of $16 million dollars from NSF, NASA, AFRL, Sandia and from other companies. His current research interests include adaptive and neural network control, networked control systems/cyber physical systems, prognostics, and autonomous systems/robotics. He served on various editorial boards and as a co-editor for the IET Book series on Control.
- Doctor of Philosophy in Electrical Engineering (1/92-8/94) Automation and Robotics Research Institute, University of Texas at Arlington Specialization: Nonlinear Adaptive Neural Network Control
- Master of Science (9/87-12/89); University of Saskatchewan at Saskatoon, Canada Specialization: Embedded Control Systems and Robotics
- Bachelor of Electrical Engineering (7/82-8/86); Anna University at Madras, India
- S. Kazemlou, S. Mehareen, H. Saberi, and S. Jagannathan, “Stability of the small-scale interconnected DC grids via output-feedback control”, IEEE Journal of Emerging and Selected Topics in Power Electronics, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 960-970, September 2017.
- W. Meng, Q. Yang, S. Jagannathan, and Y. Sun, “Decentralized control of nonlinear multi-agent systems with asymptotic consensus”, IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man and Cybernetics, vol. 47, no. 5, pp 749-757, May 2017.
- H. Ferdowsi and S. Jagannathan, “Decentralized fault tolerant control of a class of nonlinear interconnected systems”, International Journal of Control, Automation, and Systems, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 527-536, 2017.
- A. Sahoo, Hao Xu and S. Jagannathan, “Approximate optimal control of affine nonlinear continuous-time systems using event sampled neuro dynamic programming”, IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks and Learning Systems, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 639-652, March 2017.
- A. Sahoo and S. Jagannathan, “Stochastic optimal regulation of nonlinear networked control systems by using event driven adaptive dynamic programming”, IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man and Cybernetics, vol. 47, no. 2, pp. 425-438, February 2017.
- A. Sahoo, H. Xu and S. Jagannathan, “Near optimal event-triggered control of nonlinear discrete-time systems using neuro dynamic programming”, IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks and Learning Systems, Vol. 27, Issue 9, pp. 1801 – 1815, September 2016.
- Krishnan Raghavan, S. Jagannathan, and Samarnayake, “Deep learning inspired prognostics scheme for applications generating big data”, Proc. of the IEEE Joint Conference on Neural Networks, pp. 3296-3302, May 2017.
- Nathan Szanto, Vignesh Narayanan and S. Jagannathan, “Event-sampled control of quadrotor unmanned aerial vehicle”, Proc. of American Controls Conference, pp. 2956-2961, May 2017.
- H. Guzey, Vignesh Narayanan, T. Dierks, S. Jagannathan, and Levent Acar, “Distributed consensus-based event-triggered approximate control of nonholonomic mobile robot formations”, Proc. of American Controls Conference, pp. 3194-3199, May 2017.
- J. D. Peterson, T. Yucelen, S. Jagannathan, Eduardo Pasiliao, “Event-triggered active-passive dynamic consensus filters”, Proc. of American Controls Conference, pp. 3900-3905, May 2017.
- D. Tran, T. Yucelen, S. Jagannathan, “On local design and execution of a distributed input and state estimation architecture for heterogeneous sensor networks”, Proc. of American Controls Conference, pp. 3874-3879, May 2017
- Nathan Szanto, Vignesh Narayanan and S. Jagannathan, “Event-sampled direct adaptive NN state-feedback control of uncertain strict-feedback system”, Proc. of the IEEE International Conference on Decision and Control, pp. 3395-3400, December 2016.
- Vignesh Narayanan and S. Jagannathan, “Approximate optimal distributed control of uncertain nonlinear interconnected systems with event-sampled feedback”, Proc. of the IEEE International Conference on Decision and Control, pp. 5827-5832, December 2016.
- Vignesh Narayanan and S. Jagannathan, “Event-sampled adaptive neural network control of robot manipulators”, Proc. of the IEEE International Joint Conference on Neural Networks, pp. 4941-4946, July 2016.
- Haifeng Niu and S. Jagannathan, “Neural network-based attack detection in nonlinear networked control systems”, Proc. of the IEEE International Joint Conference on Neural Networks, pp. 4249-4254, July 2016.
- B. Talaei, S. Jagannathan, J. Singler, “Boundary control of two dimensional Burgers PDE using approximate dynamic programming”, Proc. of the American Controls Conference, pp. 5243-5248, July 2016.
- Vignesh Narayanan and S. Jagannathan, “Distributed event-sampled approximate optimal control of interconnected affine nonlinear continuous-time systems”, Proc. of the American Controls Conference, pp. 3044-3049, July 2016.
- Jia Cai and S. Jagannathan, “Fault isolation in distributed parameter systems modeled by parabolic partial differential equations”, Proc. of the American Controls Conference, pp. 4356-4361, July 2016..
- K. Vomvudulakis, and S. Jagannathan, “Control of Complex Systems: Recent Advances and Future Directions”, Wiley, (Edited) 2016.
- S. Jagannathan and Hao Xu, “Optimal Networked Control Systems”, CRC Press, December 2015
- Vignesh Narayanan, Haci Guzey, and S. Jagannathan, “Event sampled adaptive control of robot manipulators and mobile robot formation control”, Editors: Dan Zhang, Bin Wei, CRC Press, pp. 124-158, 2016.
- A. Sahoo and S. Jagannathan, “Adaptive optimal regulation of a class of nonlinear continuous-time systems”, Edited by K. Vomvoudakis and S. Jagannathan), Wiley, 2016.
- Jagannathan Sarangapani, M. Zawodniok, Vivek Thotla, T. Ghasr, and Jake Hertenstein, “Electronic Device Detection Systems and Method”, US Patent No. 9689964B2, June 27, 2017.
Recent Grants (active)
- System theoretic principles and decentralized sensor network and control algorithms for dynamic data driven and situational awareness and response applications, AFOSR, 2017-2018
- Industry/University Cooperative Research Center for Intelligent Maintenance Systems: Five Year Renewal Phase II, PI- NSF 2011-2016.
- Event Triggered Control of Networked Control Systems by using Adaptive Dynamic Programming, PI- NSF, 2014-2017.
- Investigation of Advance Concepts in Passive Tags with Sensors with Data Communication, Security and Prognosis Applications, PI, Boeing.
- Fellow of the IEEE
- Fellow of the IET (UK), Fellow of the Inst. Of Measurement & Control (UK)
- Outstanding Teaching Award 2015, Teaching Commendation Award in 2005, Commended for Teaching Excellence in 2007, 2013
- Faculty Excellence Award 2005-2006, 2006-2007
Students Graduated (all doctoral)
- Behzad Talaei, “Boundary control of distributed parameter systems using adaptive dynamic programming”, March 2016. (Now at American Axle Association, Warren, MI)
- Jia Cai, “Model-based diagnosis and prognosis of a class of linear and nonlinear distributed parameter systems”, April 2016. (Start-up company, Ohio)
- Haifeng Niu, “A control theoretic approach to security in cyber-physical systems”, April 2016. (Amazon Corp, Seattle)
- Haci Guzey, “Consensus based formation control of unmanned vehicles”, November 2016. (Department of Electrical Engineering, Erzurum Technical University,Turkey)
- Xiang Gao, “Using wireless sensors and networks program for chemical particle propagation mapping and chemical source localization”, November 2016 (co-advisor)
- Vignesh Narayanan, “Event triggered optimal adaptive control of interconnected systems”, June 2017. (Postdoctoral Fellow—Washington University, St. Louis)