- Department Overview
- Academic Programs
- Prospective Students
- What do Computer Engineering students do?
- What do Electrical Engineering students do?
- Curriculum & Courses
- Undergraduate Admissions Requirements
- Graduate Admissions Requirements and Application Deadlines
- Credit by Examination
- Transfer Information
- Student Organizations
- Resources to Help You Succeed
- International Students
- Living in Rolla
- Current Students
- Faculty, Staff & Facilities
- Alumni, Corporations & Partners
- Current Courses
- Useful Links
Associate Teaching Professor
215 Emerson Electric Co. Hall
Rolla, MO 65409-0040
Areas of Interest
- Photon transport in semiconductors
- Statistical physics
- Monte Carlo techniques
- Neutral particle transport algorithm development
- Neutronics and Photonics
- Medical applications
- Computer vision and Image processing
- Feature extraction and identification
- B.Sc. Tribhuvan University, Kathmandu Nepal, 1974
- M.Sc. Tribhuvan University, Kathmandu Nepal, 1978
- Ph.D. University of Missouri-Rolla, Rolla MO, 1995
Selected Peer-reviewed publications
- M. E. Bresnahan and B. Shrestha, “Potential shielding for a positron emission tomography (PET) suite” - Journal of Biomedical Graphics and Computing, June 2012, Vol. 2, No. 1
- A. Dalal, R.H. Moss, R.J. Stanley, W.V. Stoecker, K. Gupta, D. A. Calcara, J. Xu, B. Shrestha, R. Drugge, J.M. Malters, L.A. Perry, “Concentric Decile Segmentation of White and Hypopigmented Areas in Dermoscopy Images of Skin Lesions Allows Discrimination of Malignant Melanoma,” Computerized Medical Imaging and Graphics, 35(2011) 148-154.
- W.V. Stoecker, M. Wronkiewiecz, R. Chowdhury, R. J. Stanley, J. Xu, A. Bangert, B. Shrestha, D. A. Calcara, H. S. Rabinovitz, M. Olivero, F. Ahmed, L. A. Perry, R. Drugge, “Detection of Granularity in Dermoscopy Images of Malignant Melanoma Using Color and Texture Features,” Computerized Medical Imaging and Graphics, 35(2011) 144-147
- B. Shrestha, J. Bishop, K. Kam, X. Chen, R.H. Moss, W.V. Stoecker, S. Umbaugh, R. J. Stanley, M. E. Celebi, A.A. Mahrgoob, G. Argenziano, H.P. Soyer, “Detection of atypical texture features in early malignant melanoma,” Skin Research and Technology, 2010; 16: 60-65
- W.V. Stoecker, K. Gupta, B. Shrestha, M. Wronkiewiecz, R. Chowdhury, R. J. Stanley, J. Xu, R.H. Moss, M. E. Celebi, H. S. Rabinovitz, M. Oliviero, J. M. Malters, I. Kolm, “Detection of basal cell carcinoma using color and histogram measures of semitranslucent areas,” Skin Research and Technology, 2009; 15: 283-287
- W.V. Stoecker, K. Gupta, R. J. Stanley, R.H. Moss, B. Shrestha, “Detection of asymmetric blotches (asymmetric Structureless areas) in dermoscopy images of malignant melanoma using relative color,” Skin Research and Technology, 2005; 11: 179-184
Selected relevant publications
- W.V. Stoecker, S. Stricklin, E. Black, R.H. Moss, R.J. Stanley, B. Shrestha. “Skin Scan Digital Dermoscopy Skin Cancer Training Software,” Life Science Conference, University of Missouri Kansas City, 2010.
- W.V. Stoecker , R.J. Stanley, A. Khan, R.H. Moss, B. Shrestha. “Fuzzy Logic Applied to Discrimination of Melanoma in situ vs. Dysplastic Nevi.,” Dermatology 2006; 212:294-295.
- X. Chen, R. H. Moss, W.V. Stoecker, S. E. Umbaugh, R. J. Stanley, B. Shrestha, “A Watershed-based Approach to Skin Lesion Border Segmentation”, Poster P-275 6th World Congress on Melanoma, Vancouver, Canada, Sep 6-10, 2005
- X. Chen, R. H. Moss, W.V. Stoecker, T. Lee, R. J. Stanley, B. Shrestha, D. McLean “Software Improvements in Hair Detection using Dull razor”, Poster P-238 6th World Congress on Melanoma, Vancouver, Canada, Sep 6-10, 2005
- B. Shrestha and A. Shrestha, “Monte Carlo Simulation of Photon Transport in an Egg in a Postulated Irradiation Procedure,” Jour. Rad. Prot. Mgmt., 1999, 16: 35-40.
- N. Tsoulfanidis and B. Shrestha, “Photon Dose Equivalent Rate from a Cylindrical Source using a Point Kernel Technique,” Jour. Health Physics, 1997, 722: 931-935.
- N. Tsoulfanidis and B. Shrestha, “Geometry Factors used for the Calculation of Gamma Dose received by Various Organs of a Human Phantom,” Jour. Rad. Prot. Mgmt., 1995, 12: 56-66.
- B. Shrestha and N. Tsoulfanidis, “Gamma Dose received by Internal Organs and the Fetus from External Gamma Sources, Calculated with the MCNP Code,” Jour. Rad. Prot. Mgmt., 1995, 12: 21-40.
- N. Tsoulfanidis and B. Shrestha, “Gamma Dose from a Cylindrical Source Obtained by Point Kernel and MCNP”, Trans. Amer. Nuclear Society, 1994, TANSAO 71: 411.
- Campus Physics, 1980 – Ratna Pustak Bhandar, Kathmandu, Nepal
- Faculty Achievement Award
- Outstanding Professor Award from the Eta Kappa chapter of Chi Omega
- Fulbright Scholarship Recipient
- Senior Member, IEEE